Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Edward James Olmos

In "The West Wing", he is supreme.

God, how I hate it when people I care about fight with one another. I have this impossible goal to be friends with everyone I meet. I know it just won't happen; my personality will somehow rub a person the wrong way, and since I cannot divest myself from my personality, I can't fix the problem. I also know that other people that I, individually, am cool with, will not like one another for reasons that are beyond my ability to rectify. I know this, I understand, this, I can't stand this. I won't name names, but there are two coold guys that have no problems with me, but have problems with one another. I can't fix this, and that pisses me off.

I don't take sides. I once had the nick name of "Switzerland", but since not everyone I have met has had a firm grasp on geopolitics, I let that name fall off. Anyways, interpersonal dynamics is all about compromise. I can't be friends with everyone because everyone is not friends with everyone else. Yet I still try.

Look, if anyone who knows what the hell I am talking about reads this, I just have a simple request. Work it out. Not for me. Not for you, not even for the other party. Work it out because life is nothing more than a struggle against a constant stream of minor disappointments punctuated by abject tragedy. All of us, every last one of us, needs as few enemies and as many friends as we can possibly get.

On the other hand, what the hell do I know?

Discordant thought; ever wonder what life would be like if all of your problems went away?

No comments: