Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Monday, May 11, 2009

Captain Scott "Scooter" Altman, USN

Captain Altman is the commander of STS-125, the current Atlantis space shuttle mission servicing the Hubble Space Telescope.

Now, I have made it clear that I have a soft spot for the space shuttle, and I don't like the Orion spacecraft that will replace it. Be that as it may, I am excited at the idea of human space flight. It really is one aspect of humanity that makes us different from any other living creature on earth. Assuming that we can get over this financial slump, my daughter could see commercial settlements on the moon and Mars, and if she wanted to, go to them.

That is some serious shit.

1 comment:

Heff said...

I'm keepin' my ass RIGHT HERE on planet dirt.