Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Friday, September 23, 2011

Abigail Arnold

<p>Kim saved Abby from a certain death in Shacktown. Abby was loved for eight years. We had to put Abby down due to kidney failure.</p>
<p>When we chose where to bury Abby, we did not know that a five foot pole of steel was buried upright in that spot decades ago. I kept digging and yanking at the pole until the earth finally relented. I nearly fell over onto my backside once the pole was free, which would not have been very dignified. At that moment, emotion overcame me and I wept for the loss of my little tuxedo fuzz ball.</p>
<p>Abby now rests beneath perennial daisies in front of our living room window. A Finch feeder attracts birds to flit near her. I hope that is enough for her.

Abby deserved a blog post. She was a companion and friend to a good woman and her children. I wish I had more time with her.

No comments: