Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Scatman Crothers

Kim and I watched "The Shining" on last Friday night. It is a really good movie. Now, perhaps I am jaded, but it really was not that scary to me. Now, a hotel that drives people mad and makes them want to murder their family, that ought to be frightening, right?

I guess I've seen one too many zombie flicks.

Any ways, even though it was not frightening to me, it was a beautiful film. Everything was late 1970s opulence at its finest. The landscape shots were gorgeous. Finally, the one thing that made the movie for me was when Halloran was relaxing at his Miami home.

The artwork was quite frankly, the most perfect non-sequitur ever.

Seriously, even if you aren't going to get scared from it, I highly suggest you watch it. I have to say it is one of the most pretty movies I have ever seen.

7 comments:

kimberkara said...

The Shining is a great movie! Jack Nicolson was awesome and Scatman really had a big heart, eh? I had no idea you never saw it or I would have told you it was more cool than scary.

Drunken Chud said...

book far surpasses the movie. seriously. great. fucking. book.

Stepho said...

There was a made for TV movie released a few years back. It followed the book much more closely, although the cinematography was far cheesier.

Rev said...

The Kubrick version falls right the fuck apart towards the end, and for that I HATE Stanley Kubrick.

Had a great thing going, excellent source material, and he turns it into a stupid "WTFGHOSTREINCARNATION" horseshit story.

Fuck that movie, and fuck Kubrick.

I grabbed the made for TV series on dvd a couple years back, as I didn't get to see the whole thing when it aired in 97. Far superior.

Though neither quite represented Tony in a respectable way.

A kid talking with finger?? REALLY?!?!

Fucking hack director.

Krissyface said...

wow, I loved the shining. I have the opposite reaction to Kubrick films. I agree with the scoot...beautiful. Hauntingly gorgeous ...

but then, I loved 'eyes wide shut' and almost got stoned to death for admitting to that one.

Sorry, rev...

Rev said...

Don't apologize to me. You're allowed to have shitty taste in movies.

As long as you're not just following Kubrick because you heard it was cool to do in high school.

Cindy-Lou said...

The Shining was one of my first Stephen King books. I started reading him when I was pretty young. So young that I would put the books in the garage at night because I didn't want them in my room with me when it was dark.

and I thought the movie was decent, if you considered it a completely separate entity from the book.