Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Monday, July 20, 2009

Blaise Pascal

He died at the age of 39 in 1662. He helped to develop mechanical calculators, wrote in defense of the scientific method, expanded our knowledge of vacuums, and generally had a huge brain. The first programming language I ever learned was named after him. In short, he is a nerd god.

Any way, I have decided to start an expense spreadsheet for my car. This month has been expensive. To date, I have spent 176.18 on my car. I have driven approximately 750 miles, which comes out to about Four dollars and 26 cents a mile.

Ouch. To be fair, I did change my oil, two temperature gauges, and a tire this month, so that figure is a little skewed. At least, I am hoping it is. Any way, one of the best ways to save money is to keep track of your expenses. Seeing that I am responsible for but two expenses in my life, my car and food that I choose to buy, (I love you, Kim), I ought to make the best choices possible.

I really don't want to make a food spreadsheet.

1 comment:

cassdawn said...

i don't blame you about the food spreadsheet. but, it might be worthwhile - maybe not make a spreadsheet but to look at the expenses. your car there isn't much you can do about - it needs what it needs and as long as you need it then you have to tend to those needs. food on the other hand you have much more leeway on - i mean food itself isn't optional but there is much more fluctuation in prices. looking at how much you spend on fast food or if you have access to a place where you can bulk shop - 6 pounds of pasta for 5 bucks that kind of thing.

blaise pascal is a very cool name too.