Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Monday, March 08, 2010

Kim Arnold

I love her, and today is our anniversary. Hi honey!

All right, so let's go with a domestic update for this entry, eh? I seem to be easing into the domesticated life rather seamlessly. The weather is warming up, which allows for expeditions to the outside, and it also is motivating all of us to purge unnecessary items from our living space. I would bet we have about ten more square feet to work with from this week to last week. It might not seem like a lot as words on a screen, but damn, does it feel good.

With this extra space and motivation comes with a bit of hobby planning. Kim, despite her loathing for it, has allowed me a plastic bin to hold our waste vegetable matter to compost. The caveat is that I have to keep the bin clean, clean, CLEAN. I can do that. Hopefully, I will do that.

Now, the compost heap is still frozen, so I don't know how much more I can stuff into the heap before I can turn it over, but at least I have a plan, and there is always the garbage bin.

Any way, as long as I am planning, I ought to dream. Oh, and as always, Facebook does not import flash video, so if you are reading this on Facebook, come to scooterrant.blogspot.com to see what I am talking about.



That right there, is a home-made wind turbine that uses a ceiling fan motor as the generator. I want to build one. Now, wind turbines produce alternating current, so I would have to put on a bridge diode circuit to convert the electricity to DC and pump it into some lead acid batteries. Any way, I would like to buy an electric wood chipper and ironically, a DC to AC inverter to power it. That way, I could mash any organic material, cardboard, newspapers, actual wood, and compost that.

I like to have "things"...

1 comment:

Fea said...

What is it with boys and their toys? Go go gadget turbine/copter!

Glad to see family life is having such a good effect on you. And congratulations. Its awesome.