Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Friday, July 04, 2008

Jesse Helms

I didn't agree with him on a lot of things, but he believed in himself, and his ideas, and thought for them. I don't think there is anything more American than that. He is dead on this Fourth of July.

Over two centuries ago, a group of intellectuals, moneyed landowners, and other special interests came together in purpose to reject the tyrannical and altogether bad vibes of the British empire. Today, I am going to celebrate that brave action by eating barbecue, and telling Kim how much I love her.

I think you should find a way to honor the founders in a similar fashion, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

should I go slay some injuns? ;)