Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.
- President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Samuel Peppard

In 1860, Samuel Peppard and John Hinton sailed across the Kansas prairie sea in a wagon with a sail. Their ultimate destination was the gold field in Colorado. Sadly, they hit a pot hole, more than likely a prairie dog burrow, and their expedition was cut short.

Speaking of pot holes, holy crap. So, last night, Kim asks me to hurry home because she had prepared a new dish and would like to eat it with me. When I get to my car, I find that I forgot to turn off my head lights and need a jump from security. Darn, but hey, just a couple of minutes right?

Huron River Drive just east of Superior Road was beset with two very large, very vicious pot holes. My passenger side front tire burst, and I pulled in to Huron River Service Drive, to find two other motorists dealing with the same problem. One lady lost two tires, and a rim was damaged. I shouldn't have laughed.

Any way, I forgot to turn off my lights for a couple of minutes, and my battery died again. Luckily AAA takes care of such things.

So, needless to say, I am going to take Golfside to Washtenaw from now on. Concrete doesn't have as hard of a time with spring thaws. Also, I don't think Kim is going to ask me to hurry home any more.

No comments: